August 6, 2021
Cacao isn’t just a powder you pour hot water on to make a delicious drink…
Cacao has been used in body rituals and medicine throughout the world for many hundreds of years.
Cacao comes from beans produced by the Theobroma Cacao tree and contains many beneficial components.
There are many things it can do for you…
1. It’s rich in magnesium which is good for reducing anxiety and stress.
2. It’s rich in theobromine which can induce euphoria and positive mood in healthy humans (Martínez-Pinilla et al., 2015).
3. Theobromine can enhance dopamine release and improve motivation levels (Martínez-Pinilla et al., 2015).
Epicatechin – one of the flavanols rich in cacao is simply remarkable.
It can supercharge our mitochondria. But what does that mean?
Well, our mitochondria is essentially the powerhouse of every single cell, and must be nurtured every single day for good energy levels and fight disease.
One of the most impressive findings is its ability to rescue and restore mitochondrial function via increasing Mitochondrial biogenesis (Ramírez-Sánchez et al., 2016).
There are many mechanisms as to how cacao can improve athletic performance. Lets explore a few…
1. Theobromine present in cacao acts as a mild stimulant. It dilates blood vessels in lungs,, leading to greater oxygen/co2 exchange.
2. Caffeine increases calcium release into muscle cells, which facilitates greater muscular contraction and force.
3. Epicatechin is the only oral compound known to reduce myostatin and increase follistatin – which aids muscle growth (Gutierrez-Salmean et al., 2014).
Upgrade your health and performance with cacao!
It can put you in a great mood and is good for your overall health.
But cacao isn’t the only food that can have great benefits on your health.